LDA e4 is an FPGA board and FPGA vendor-agnostic enclosure that transforms any PCIe-compliant FPGA card into a high-end networking device. Unlike current data center solutions where the card is either placed in a rackable server or is chosen as part of FPGA-based switch platform, “your board + LDA e4” solution has the board right in the center and all serial links available on it are exposed to outside world via 12-inch deep switch-like device.
“your FPGA board + LDA e4” solution enables your product to:
16 ports are 25.8 Gbps capable, the rest are up to 12.5 Gbps
Full signal recovery, regeneration and conditioning for each port that increases the reach of the links even via regular copper cabling.
Each port provides monitoring and troubleshooting features such as non-intrusive eye-diagram monitor, PRBS pattern generator and checker etc.
Full PCIe bandwidth is not usually needed in network FPGA applications, especially when it is used for configuration and status reporting only. New patent pending technology implemented in LDA e4 allows to reroute the unneeded PCIe links to the front panel, expanding the number of serial links available for network applications.
A regular FPGA board with PCIe x8 can be expanded with 7 additional serial links.
A modern board with PCIe x16 connector can be expanded by 15 additional 10G Ethernet ports.
Links that can be repurposed include PCIe, expansion ports such as FMC connectors, unused SATA links, etc.
Certain boards available on the market can already utilize the full 48-port capacity of LDA e4!
Today Layer 1 replication is a major trend in ultra-low latency industries such as trading. It allows switching high-speed data streams at Layer 1 level with almost undetectable latency (less than 3ns). In addition to familiar 10GbE, LDA e4 introduces support for 25GbE Layer 1 replication placing its users at the cutting edge of today’s network technologies.
Separate Layer 1 switching matrices for 25GbE and 10GbE ports.
Flexible scenarios (predefined or declared through custom replication rules) allow using either front panel inputs or FPGA outputs as Layer 1 replication sources
Sources may be combined to support 50/100GbE Layer 1 replication on 25GbE matrix, and 40GbE replication on 10GbE matrix.
25/50/100GbE Layer 1 support will keep your device in the game for years to come.
25GbE and 10GbE matrices may be combined to distribute 10/40GbE Layer 1 source across all 48 ports.
Wide range of CPUs supported via COM Express system-on-modules (SOMs) with either type 6 or type 10 form factors. Intel Atom, Core I, and Xeon D COM Express modules are tested with our system.
Two internal SSDs.
Out-of-band management Ethernet port.
USB serial console port.
Operating system installed by customer: just like any server. Typical Linux distributions (Red Hat/CentOS, Ubuntu, etc.) and Windows are tested. Support for Open Network Linux (ONL) is coming soon!
Optional installable LDA management and monitoring tools for Linux and Windows
“Zero Configuration” option, when device parameters, such as port speeds, port disabled statuses, Layer 1 replication scenarios are pre-configured at factory. Operating system and LDA’s management/monitoring software may be pre-installed on request.
Precision power control for PCIe FPGA board.
* Runtime power monitoring and system fans adjustment
* Runtime board power off / power on with operating system running: no more cold-boot to reload the FPGA
10 ppb OCXO clock source via SMA, FPC connectors and as a PCIe reference clock. May be used by FPGA applications hosted in the enclosure if the board itself does not provide a precision clock source.
Two timestamping ports on front panel
FPGA debug tools such as JTAG adapters, USB serial ports, etc.
* Internal USB ports can be powered off/on at runtime allowing reset of unresponsive USB equipment
Ultra-fast networking and PCIe startup: under 3 seconds from power on. Enclosure’s operation does not depend on installed OS.
Two High performance 16K RPM fans are located in close proximity to FPGA board (4” away, blowing directly on FPGA heatsink), so no additional cooling fans are required on the board.
Ethernet ports (including 25GbE)
• 16 ports are 25.8Gbps capable
• 32 ports are up to 12.5Gbps
• Total 48 zSFP+ ports
• Full signal recovery, regeneration, conditioning for each port
PCIe and other serial links conversion into SFP+ ports
• Increasing available number of high-speed links based on FPGA board’s PCIe connector type (x4, X8, X16) and/or availability of other serial links (FMC, SATA, etc.).
FPGA board agnostic enclosure
Able to host:
• Any PCIe form factor
• Any PCIe FPGA board manufacturer
• Any FPGA vendor
25/50/100GbE and 10/40GbE Layer 1 replication
• Under 3ns replication latency
• Both front panel input and FPGA board output can serve as a replication source
• Replication scenarios: predefined as well as configurable through custom rules
Designated precision power control
• FPGA board independent power off / power on
• current draw monitoring in real time
• dedicated cooling
Ultra-fast startup time
• network and PCIe: under 3 seconds
• Network ports’ operation does not depend on installed OS, given that FPGA board can operate immediately after power-on without additional configuration from host OS
10 ppb OCXO clock source
• via SMA, FPC and PCIe connectors
Dimensions : Ultra-short depth, 1U
• 16.9” X 1.71” X 12” allows to install two devices back to back in a standard 25” deep rack
• 2 on front panel
Wide range of supported CPUs
2 internal 2.5 inch SSDs
Per port signal monitoring tools
• PRBS pattern generator, checker
• non-intrusive eye monitor
• Dedicated Ethernet port
• Micro USB serial console
Internal USB ports
• Intended for FPGA debugging tools (JTAG adapters) with full power control
Wide range of supported operating systems
• Any up-to-date Linux distribution (Red Hat, CentOS, Ubuntu, etc.)
• Dedicated ONL support: coming soon!
Zero configuration option (i.e. no mandatory device configuration)
• Device parameters, such as port speeds, switching matrix assignments, may be preconfigured at factory, or by the customer via serial/out-of-band management ports without installing operating system on the host CPU.
Optional installable LDA custom packages
• Configuration, etc.